Saturday, February 11, 2012

Wholemeal Heart Pikelets

This is my jazzed up simple pikelet recipe. There are lots of ways to change the recipe to suit you eg. replace the sugar with brown or maple syrup or agave; use different types of flours; put different spices in; add sultanas or grated apple or blueberries. Nothing I ever make is "my-way-or-the-highway". So please mix it up, I dare you!


Wholemeal Heart Pikelets


1cup wholemeal Self Raising flour
1TBsp sugar
1 egg
approx 3/4cup of milk (you may need more or less depending on the thickness of batter you want)
small sprinkle of ground cardamom
small sprinkle of ground cinnamon
approx 1tsp of grated orange zest
approx 1TBsp melted butter


Combine the flour and sugar in a bowl and add the egg to the centre. Slowly beat together adding the milk gradually until combined. Stir through spices and zest and then add the melted butter. (I always add melted butter or oil to my batter as I don't use any on my grill when cooking them. Overall this means I use far less butter!) 
Pour batter into a piping bag and let sit for approx 5 mins. Heat your pan/grill plate. Pipe the mixture onto the gill plate and in the shape of a heart and then fill in. Flip when bubble appear. And voila. Lovey dovey treats!


Makes about 14 hearts (plus 3 dodges little munty ones)


These would be so nice served with whipped ricotta with orange zest and a drizzle of maple. My kids love them with sprinkles (what kid doesn't love sprinkles?)


I freeze them so they are ready for the lunch box or for a snack on demand.

No comments:

Post a Comment